Find out about the programmes and support that the special education schools offer through their open houses. Learn about the schedule and how to sign up.
Before you begin
- List your child’s needs, interests, preferences and strengths.
- Obtain insights from your child’s Early Intervention Programme for Infants and Children (EIPIC) and preschool teachers in writing.
- Discuss with a health professional and get a professional assessment for your child.
- Explore the different education pathways for your child.
- Learn more about the schools and programmes they offer.
Application process for special education schools
What you need to do:
- Identify 3 schools which you and your child's professional assess to be suitable for your child.
- Check your first choice school’s website to learn about the application process and deadline.
- Download the special educational school application form .
- Gather and attach all required documents. Applications can be processed only if all the required documents are submitted.
- Submit the application form with required documents to your first choice special education school.
- The school will arrange to meet you and your child, if necessary, so as to assess if your child's needs can be supported. If successful, you will receive an offer letter by post within 3 to 6 months from the date of application submission.
- Register your child at the school within 2 weeks from the day you receive the offer letter.
- Applications may be delayed if there is missing or inaccurate information.
- An alternative school will be recommended if your first choice school has no vacancies or is unable to cater to your child’s learning needs.
Work with a referring agency
You should work with a referring agency that will assist you with the application process, such as:
- The mainstream or special education school that your child is currently enrolled in.
- EIPIC centres, if your child is enrolled in one.
- Social workers and counsellors from social service agencies.