Schools can only engage instructors who are registered with MOE. Registration helps schools better assess instructors' suitability to conduct co-curricular and enrichment activities for students.
Who must register
The following individuals must register with MOE before they can be engaged by schools:
- Co-curricular activities (CCA) coaches and instructors.
- Art and music scheme (AMIS) instructors.
- Programme for active learning (PAL) instructors.
- Conversational Chinese or Malay instructors.
- Instructors for activities that involve overnight stay or overseas trips with students.
- All other instructors of school-based CCA and enrichment activities lasting 8 hours or more per contract (for example, 1 term of weekly 2-hour sessions).
If you are a travel agency employee
If you conduct overseas trips or local learning journeys for students, you need to register with MOE before you can be engaged by schools.
- Travel agency staff who accompany students on overseas trips, regardless of their duties (for example, tour guide, learning facilitator, tour manager), or when they join the trip (from the start of the trip from Singapore or in the later part of the trip).
- Travel agency staff accompanying students on local learning journeys.
Note: Overseas personnel (for example, native tour guides or learning facilitators) who are not direct employees of the tour agency do not need to register with MOE.
All instructors must be at least 18 years of age.
In addition, the following roles have specific registration requirements.
To ensure that students receive high-quality training during their sports CCA, you must be at least a provisional member of the National Registry of Coaches (NROC).
- Proof of NROC provisional or full membership.
- For full NROC members, a copy of your certificate of attendance for the Values and Principles in Sports (VSP) workshop.
- Certificate of successful completion of the ‘An Introduction to Safe Dance Practice in MOE Schools' course.
MOE and the National Arts Council (NAC) value the importance of safe dance practice. It is critical for Dance CCA instructors to have the essential knowledge and skills of safe dance practice so that they can adopt sound training approaches to help students build dance skills progressively, with minimal risk of injury.
Hence MOE and NAC have appointed the Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts (NAFA) to conduct a mandatory baseline training course, An Introduction to Safe Dance Practice in MOE Schools. This introductory course aims to equip all Dance CCA instructors in schools with basic working knowledge and skills, to ensure students' well-being and optimal learning.
From 1 January 2021, all Dance CCA instructors are required to complete the course before they can register with MOE.
Learn more about the course, available dates, application and exemption process. You may also refer to the FAQs for more information.
AMIS instructors at primary schools are to deliver the teaching and learning of the Art and Music subjects during curriculum hours, which is different from the roles of PAL, CCA and enrichment instructors.
Prospective instructors should have:
- 5 GCE O-Level passes including English.
- Relevant art or music qualification.
- Experience teaching students in the primary school age group in art or music.
- Proof of all academic qualifications, including GCE O-Level results.
- Highest professional art or music qualifications.
- Proof of professional or teaching experience in art or music.
If you are applying to be an art and music instructor, your AMIS and MOE registration will be considered concurrently.
How to register
REMS 2.0 is now available. Please register online if:
- You are registering for the first time.
- You are applying for re-registration within 3 months from the expiry date of your registration.
We will inform you of the outcome of your application about 6 to 8 weeks after receiving your completed application form. Schools may interview you to assess your suitability based on their needs before engaging your service.
In general, instructors will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Age (should be at least 18 years of age)
- Area of specialisation
- Relevant qualifications and experience, if any
- Employment history
- Registration with a relevant professional body, if applicable
- Self-declaration form
|Area of specialisation||Examples|
|Co-curricular activities (CCAs)|
|Programme for Active Learning (PAL)|
|Art and Music Scheme (AMIS)|
|Conversational Chinese and Malay (CCM)|
Tenure of service
Each registration is valid for 2 years.
All instructors must remain registered during the tenure of their services. Instructors who wish to continue providing services to schools must re-register before the expiry date of their registration.
Schools will terminate the services of instructors when their registration expires. Schools will also end their contract with companies that cannot provide suitable replacements for instructors who are no longer registered with MOE.
Instructors who no longer meet the suitability criteria will be deregistered and be informed of their de-registration. All schools will then terminate their contracts with the de-registered instructor.
MOE’s decisions to decline registration or re-registration, or impose de-registration of an instructor is not a judgement of the instructor's competency to act in any other capacity outside of MOE.
For technical help with the online registration process, please contact:Email: MOE_REMS@moe.edu.sg
For all other queries on registration, please contact:Email: MOE_IRS@moe.edu.sg
You can also refer to the FAQs or these press releases for more information:
- 13 March 2014: Registration of instructors offering co-curricular and enrichment activities to schools
- 13 November 2014: Registration of instructors offering co-curricular and enrichment activities to schools (second phase)
- 7 February 2017: National Registry of Coaches' provisional membership for all MOE-registered sports CCA coaches