Primary school curriculum at a glance
What is it
The primary school curriculum focuses on:
- Subject-based learning such as languages, mathematics, science, art, music and social studies.
- Knowledge skills through subject-based learning and project work.
- Character development through daily interaction, Character and Citizenship Education and co-curricular activities.
6 years (Primary 1 to 6)
- English Language
- Mother Tongue Language (MTL)
- Physical Education
- Social Studies
- Character and Citizenship Education
Higher MTL may be offered to your child depending on their MTL results.
Based on your child’s Primary 4 school examination results, they will be offered English Language, MTL, Mathematics and Science at the foundation or standard levels in Primary 5 and 6.
Possible subject combinations are:
- 4 standard subjects.
- 4 foundation subjects.
- A combination of standard and foundation subjects.
For all students:
- Project Work
- Co-curricular Activities
- Programme for Active Learning
For selected students:
- Selected students will be identified for the Learning Support Programme and Learning Support for Maths
- Identification exercise for the Gifted Education Programme (GEP).
- Selected students will be invited to join the GEP.
- Nominated students will take part in the Junior Sports Academy (JSA) selection trial. If selected, they will join the programme from Primary 4 to 6.
Primary 6: Primary School Leaving Examination (PSLE)
Next educational level