The Tamil Language Teacher Training Sponsorship is a 3 to 4-year sponsored programme for O-Level holders who want to become Tamil Language teachers in our MOE Kindergartens or primary schools.
You will enrol in the Diploma in Tamil Studies with Early Education (TSE) programme at Ngee Ann Polytechnic (NP) for the first 3 years.
After you complete the Diploma in TSE, you can either:
- Teach at an MOE Kindergarten
- Apply to teach at primary schools
If you meet the requirements to teach at primary schools, you will need to complete the 1-year Diploma in Education (Primary) (Tamil Language) programme at the National Institute of Education (NIE). After graduating from NIE, you will become a Tamil Language teacher at a primary school.
To apply for this sponsorship, you must:
- Be a Singapore citizen or Singapore permanent resident
- Have a strong passion for the language
- Have completed your GCE O-Level examinations
- Meet NP’s course admission criteria
What you will learn
During your 1st year of study in NP, you will:
- Develop a strong foundation in Tamil Language
- Deepen your understanding of Tamil culture and heritage
- Hone your proficiency in both the Tamil and English Languages
During your 2nd and 3rd year of study at NP, you will:
- Learn about child development
- Learn how to design lessons for young children
- Visit cultural and heritage sites in Singapore or abroad
- Apply for the Global Education Trip to attend childhood education workshops overseas
- Attend a 3-month internship with a preschool
In Year 3, you can either choose to teach in an MOE Kindergarten, or apply to become a primary school teacher through NIE’s Diploma in Education (Tamil Language) programme.
If you meet the requirements for the Diploma in Education (Tamil Language) programme, you will proceed to complete the 1-year programme at NIE and be deployed to a primary school as a Tamil Language teacher.
Allowance and teaching bond
MOE will pay the full tuition fees for your studies at NP and NIE. You will also receive:
- A monthly allowance of $800 during your first 3 years at NP
- A gross monthly salary of $2,300 during your final year at NIE, if you are selected for the Diploma in Education (Tamil Language) programme
If you choose to teach in an MOE Kindergarten upon graduation from NP, you will serve a 3-year bond as a Tamil Language teacher at an MOE Kindergarten.
If you are selected for the Diploma in Education (Tamil Language) programme, you will serve a 5-year bond as a Tamil Language teacher at our primary schools after your NIE training.
You will need to complete the following two applications:
1. Apply for admission to NP's Diploma in Tamil Studies in Early Education programme
Visit NP's website for more information on their admission exercises and how to apply for the course.
2. MOE's Teacher Training Sponsorship through the Careers@Gov portal
The application window is currently closed. It typically opens in January.
Professional development and career tracks
The Ministry values every teacher as part of the MOE family, and is committed to supporting and developing each teacher's potential. Learn about the different professional development opportunities and career tracks available: