The Chinese Language Teacher Training Sponsorship is a 4-year sponsored programme for O-Level holders who want to become Chinese Language teachers in our primary schools.
You will enrol in the Diploma in Chinese Studies (Education Track) programme at Ngee Ann Polytechnic (NP) for the first 3 years.
Subsequently, you will complete the 1-year Diploma in Education (Primary) (Chinese Language) programme at the National Institute of Education (NIE).
To apply for this sponsorship, you must:
- Be a Singapore citizen or Singapore permanent resident
- Have a strong passion for the language
- Have completed your GCE O-Level examinations
- Meet NP’s course admission criteria
What you will learn
During your 1st and 2nd year of study at NP, you will:
- Develop a strong foundation in Chinese Language
- Deepen your understanding of Chinese culture, history and literature
- Participate in an immersion programme in China
During your 3rd year of study at NP, you will attend lessons at NIE and undergo a teaching practicum.
Upon successful graduation from NP, you will become a trainee teacher and complete a 1-year Diploma in Education (Primary) (Chinese Language) programme at NIE.
Allowance and teaching bond
MOE will pay the full tuition fees for your studies at NP and NIE. You will also receive:
- A monthly allowance of $800 during your first 3 years at NP
- A gross monthly salary of $2,300 during your final year at NIE
After completing your NIE training, you will serve a 5-year bond as a Chinese Language teacher at our primary schools.
You will need to complete the two applications:
1. Admission to NP's Diploma in Chinese Studies programme
Visit NP's website for more information on their admission exercises and how to apply for the course.
2. MOE's Teacher Training Sponsorship through the Careers@Gov portal
The application window is currently closed. It typically opens in January.
Professional development and career tracks
The Ministry values every teacher as part of the MOE family, and is committed to supporting and developing each teacher’s potential. Learn about the professional development opportunities and career tracks available, to help you reach your career aspirations.