Currently, there are 19 government-funded special education schools run by 12 social service agencies. All of them provide intensive and specialised learning support for children with moderate to severe special educational needs. As a special education teacher, you will undergo training to deliver the customised curriculum and pedagogy required by these children.
Select your profile:
To be considered for the post of special education teacher, you should have one of the following:
- GCE A-Level certificate
- Polytechnic diploma
- Full-time diploma from Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts (NAFA) or Lasalle College of the Arts
- International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma with a good overall score
- Any other equivalent or relevant qualifications
To be considered for the post of special education teacher, you should have all of the following:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in special education
- Teaching practicum at a special education school as part of your studies
- Transcript showing special education teaching practicum and English Language competence, if your degree was not conducted in English
How to apply
To become a special education teacher, you'll need to apply directly to one of the government-funded special education schools. Applications are open year-round.
If you are an MOE teacher considering a secondment to a special education school, you can do so through the annual Open Posting Exercise. Special education schools will post vacancies on MOE's intranet.
Professional development opportunities
We are committed to supporting special education (SPED) teachers in their career aspirations and professional development through the building of knowledge and skills.
The SPED Teaching Profession: Journeys of Excellence Package provides:
- Clarity on SPED teacher roles and expectations.
- More distinct career progression pathways.
- A set of competencies with training roadmap that will help you build your expertise in teaching and learning.
Learn how you can develop and grow in your career:
- SPED Teaching Profession: Journeys of Excellence – A Development Guide for Teachers (3MB) – Provides detailed information on the SPED Teacher Career Framework, Competency Framework and Training Roadmap.
- SPED Teaching Profession: Journeys of Excellence (3MB) – Provides a summary of the key HR recommendations.