The Diploma in Education (DipEd) is a sponsored 2-year full-time programme meant for GCE A-Level, Polytechnic diploma or International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma holders who intend to teach in our primary schools.
The training programme provided by the National Institute of Education (NIE) aims to equip you with the relevant subject-content knowledge and pedagogical skills necessary to teaching.
After undergoing 2 years of training, you would be ready to teach one of the following subjects in our primary schools:
- Physical Education
- Mother Tongue Language — Chinese, Malay, Tamil Language
Compulsory Untrained Teaching Stint
Prior to admission into the DipEd programme, you would need to undertake a compulsory teaching stint. The stint allows you to affirm your interest in teaching, and lets us assess your suitability for the profession. If you successfully complete the teaching stint, you will be enrolled in the DipEd programme at NIE.
Main areas of study
The DipEd programme is an enriching one that covers these main areas of study:
- Education Studies
- Curriculum Studies
- Subject Knowledge
- Language Enhancement and Academic Discourse Skills
- Academic Subject (for PE DipEd Only)
If you have the passion to teach and inculcate sound moral values, this programme is for you.Programme length: 2 years Bond length: 3 years
To be considered for the programme, you should have one of the following:
- At least 2 A-Level / H2 Level passes and 2 AO-Level / H1 Level passes, including General Paper or Knowledge and Inquiry
- A Polytechnic diploma
- An IB diploma
- Any other equivalent and relevant qualifications
- If you are still studying, you are encouraged to apply in the early part of your final year of studies
- Male applicants will need to complete their full-time National Service before applying for the programme
Cost and teaching bond
Your training at NIE is fully funded by MOE. After completing the DipEd programme, you will serve a 3-year teaching bond at our primary schools.
You will have to pay damages to MOE should you:
- Fail to graduate from NIE
- Resign or are terminated from the teaching service before serving out the full duration of your teaching bond
Salary and benefits
You will receive a monthly salary of $1,800 to $2,350 while undergoing your untrained teaching stint in school and if enrolled, during your NIE training as well.
Your exact salary will depend on:
- Your academic training
- Your relevant experience to teaching
- Time spent on the job
- Whether you have completed full-time National Service
As a General Education Officer (i.e. the scheme of service you are appointed to upon graduation from the DipEd programme), you will also be eligible for a number of benefits.
Some of them include:
- Bonuses, such as Non-Pensionable Annual Allowance, performance bonus and other variable bonuses
- Time off during school holidays, as long as your services are not required during that time
- Subsidised medical and dental benefits
- 14 days of medical leave (without hospitalisation), and up to 60 days of hospitalisation leave
- 10 days of urgent leave for private matters, subject to approval
- Use of Civil Service Club chalets at subsidised rates
- Professional learning and development benefits
- The CONNECT Plan, which rewards you for commitment to teaching with pay-outs at defined points of your career
- Optional life and critical illness coverage
Professional development and career tracks
The Ministry values every teacher as part of the MOE family, and is committed to supporting and developing each teacher’s potential. Learn about the professional development opportunities and career tracks available, to help you reach your career aspirations.